For the second week of rescue knitting I picked up a shawl that I had started last fall. It fell to the wayside when the weather got colder and I started working on Christmas presents and socks for the winter. Ignored and forgotten (and wearing some of my favorite stitch markers!) it ended up getting stuffed into the back of the yarn stash closet.
Poor thing! Hard to remember why it was abandoned in the first place. It’s kind of a cool pattern, the lace was pretty easy to learn once I was past the edging, and I like that hand-painted pink yarn (Malabrigo Arroyo). I only had about a foot of the shawl knitted, so this was a little bigger project than the ones I did last week, but still not too bad. I thought I should be able to make a lot of progress on it in a week.
I took the shawl out to work on in the garden, and there it was. One of my new roses was blooming, and the color was close to that of the shawl. The name of the rose is “Princess Alexandra of Kent”, and the colorway of the shawl yarn is “English rose”. Wow! Synchronicity! Obviously this UFO was meant to be rescued at exactly this moment.
I named the shawl project “Princess Alexandra of Kent Shawl” on Ravelry and got to work. I knit like crazy all week, and the shawl was finished today. Time to prune the rose and to dive back into the UFO pile to find a project for the rest of the week. I think that I’ll do a sock next…