I was so happy with the yarn and the sample I made from my first crock pot dyeing adventure I was empowered to gather up my courage to dye some more yarn. Two more projects have emerged from the crock pot.
A bit of heaven for the head: A few weeks ago I tied together the leftovers of bulky huacaya alpaca left over from earlier hat and mitts and dyed them a darker indigo using the same infusion and no-stir method I employed the first time around. The yarn was nice, but blotchy, so I overdyed it with a little more indigo to even it out. This week I knitted the yarn into a hat. What do you think?
The yummiest cowl ever: that went so well I plugged in the pot and added two skeins of premium sport weight alpaca from Alta Vida Alpacas. I have to be honest here; this is the yummiest fiber I have ever handled and it was a little stressful to wet it down, pour some vinegar over it and add the dye. Still, what could go wrong? Worst case, I decided I would just call up Cari at Alta Vida Alpacas and offer to pay for the yarn. There. What’s to worry about?
What a baby I am. The yarn came out fine.
I’ve run out of alpaca to dye, but I found some white handspun last night that is temping me. Time to plug in the crock pot again. Wait. I have an old vegetable steamer. Maybe I should paint the yarn this time and put it into the steamer…
Oh, I am having fun now!
Have a good weekend everyone.
Note: I feel that I should mention that I have two crock pots: one is for cooking, and the other is for dyeing. They are in different colors and left in different places so I don’t get them mixed up. If I use the veggie steamer it will be joining the dye crockpot in the garage and won’t be used for cooking any more. Best to always use an abundance of caution.
I knit myself a pair of half-finger mitts a couple of weeks ago using the pattern posted by Andre Sue on her website. The pattern is called Tipsy, and includes both a plain and a fancy ribbed version. I modified the plain version to make myself these mitts from Blue Sky Alpacas sport weight yarn with some modifications. Here’s my project page on Ravelry where I noted my modifications.
I decided to try to embellish the mitts to jazz them up a little. I hunted through my knitting books and found directions for knitted and crocheted flowers. A dig through the stash produced a light grey alpaca lace yarn, and after some false starts and a lot of anxiety with the crochet flower I finally produced some.
I spent the afternoon arranging things onto the mitts, and here is the first one.